St. Mary's Cemetery
History of St. Mary Cemetery
St. Mary Cemetery was founded in 1882 on three acres of land in Shaler Township, on Sharps Hill Road, for the parishioners of St. Mary Parish, Sharpsburg. Nine years later, a small brick chapel was erected. The chapel continues to be used for families to gather for the prayers of commendation.
In 1901, the cemetery was expanded with the purchase of 117 acres across the street in O’Hara Township. The cemetery now contains large areas of burials of Holy Ghost Fathers and veterans from conflicts ranging from the Civil War to modern day. The cemetery is well-maintained by a full-time staff year round and graves are available for purchase, as well as memorial trees.
Need more information?